Monday, October 19, 2015

Roller Coaster Indie Life


Do you remember that late 80s movie Parenthood? There's a scene where Grandma has mentioned how much she loves roller coasters-- the slow buildup, the excitement at reaching the top, the thrill and throwing your hands up of the race through the scary bits? Then right after, they show the characters reacting as though they are on an actual roller coaster.

That roller coaster is simply life sometimes. 



Personally, I've always been a fan of the more horizontal rides. The ones that spin and whirl (like the Scrambler, or the Tilt A Whirl) but don't have quite the range of the highs and lows the roller coaster features. Ferris Wheels are good, too-- they get up pretty high, and you can feel that thrill of something that looks risky but really isn't.

The last few weeks have been roller coaster-ish. Lots of build up and some steep turns. Thinking of moving, applying for jobs, finding a narrator for Mariposa. But also just trying to live the day-to-day grind of exercise, family responsibilities, friends.

My online community includes a lot of people who, on a daily basis, make me smile, make me laugh, and make me read thoughtful, interesting articles. I am informed on politics, science, and social stuff that truly makes me feel smarter than average.


And I know some online folks are being constantly bombarded by that roller coaster, too. Demands made on them, deadlines to meet, scary reviews, the uncertainty of the indie world where you have to do it all yourself. The thrill of the indie world where you GET TO DO IT ALL YOURSELF.

Anyway. I just wanted to remind you all that I truly appreciate you. We've got this.

We're gonna indie the sh*t out of this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment